Llyn Pendam History

Llyn Pendam was originally created as water storage to serve the local lead and silver mines in the mid 1800's, by owners John Taylor and Sons. The bog of Pant Yr Ebolion was converted to hold the much needed water and Pendam was originally called Pant-Rhyd-Ebolion.

Machinery was water powered and prior to construction of the reservoir, water shortages were a common problem, leading to mines lying idle during summer droughts.

The Taylors constructed an incredible leat, at a gradient of 1 in 772, carrying water to power the machinery of 10 mines and 40 to 50 water wheels. The leat started at Craig Y Pistyll and was a total of 19 miles in length!

The west dam overlooks Cwmsymlog lead and silver mine, which is listed by CADW as a scheduled monument and considered one of the most important historical mining sites in Wales, this dam is part of the listed area.